Wednesday 6 December 2023

Ode to a Rainbow


Written earlier this year, for my bright and brilliant, rainbow-loving 

colleague and friend: Anne-Marie.


You’ve rainbow clothes, and rainbow kids;

All manner of rainbow bobs and bits;

Had rainbow hair, get rainbow cards, and

Made a rainbow fairy garden;

There’s rainbow art in your loo;

You’re cute as a button:

Yay! To you!


But what I’ve heard, what I’ve seen

In you, the woman opposite me?

So much more than kitsch-bitch bland -

The shit's been real that built your brand;

Dark storms that split your soul’s white light

Dark brutal storms, lightning-spiked;


But through that all your light has stayed -

Now broken into full array;

Red, orange, yellow, blue and green;

The happy hopeful bounce I’ve seen,

With righteous rage, and courage too -

A vibrant spectrum makes up you.


Thank you, beautiful, for the show;

My prayers are with you as I go. 






No comments:

Post a Comment