Thursday 25 January 2018

Coming of Age

This month I celebrated my 32nd birthday. Celebrating my birthday has, for the last few years, come with some perilous emotions. But this year was truly different. Indeed, as I discovered (and admittedly pulled out!) a greatly symbolic white hair just the day before my birthday, I was reminded of that wonderful verse in Proverbs 16:31: "Grey hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life." Whether or not my life can be judged as righteous I must leave to God to decide - but what I can say with certainty is that while this last year has been a hard one, I count the life lessons it has taught me as hard-won and precious treasure that I would not be without, and that I pray do help me to glorify God a little more than I did before. In fact, as I recently reflected with someone about those lessons learned, they said to me, 'It feels like this is the beginning of the rest of your life'. So this little poem is my 'Amen' to that! 

Goodbye blissful complacency of eating whatever I want and 'getting away with it'.
Goodbye ability to kneel on the floor without discomfort.
Goodbye watertight bladder that never fails - even when I sneeze.

Hello white and wiry hair number 2.
Hello belly tyre. And bum wobble. And rear thigh bulge.
Hello strange dance required for donning my tights.

Goodbye "young woman",
   and all the related neuroses of holding that title.

Hello prime of my womanhood,
   and all the reward of life lessons learned in getting here.

Hello the beginning of the rest of my life.

I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment