Wednesday 11 May 2016

Knocking on the Door


This is a performance piece written last Christmas for use in an Advent Carol service at college and a Churches Together Village Carol Service. For the former we had a variety of actors and costumes, for the latter I performed it alone, using child-friendly pictures depicting the characters/scenes projected onto a screen.
In the same service, Holman Hunt's Light of the World painting - depicting Revelation 3:20's Jesus knocking at the door - was used.
* * * *
On 'stage' - either a door frame of some kind, that each of the characters can stand in, looking through it to the congregation and make the knocking sound, or more simply, something like a woodblock to make the knocking sound.
Before starting, congregation to be taught the refrain (in bold) in response to the knocking sound.


[1. Joseph, as if speaking to relatives not seen for a long time, accompanied by pregnant Mary]
Knock Knock Knock
Who's that there, knocking on the door?
It's Joseph here, and Mary too - you've not met before -
We've come here for the census call, and need a place to stay;
It's pretty urgent - you can see - for baby's on it's way!
[2. Shepherds - with excitement]
Knock Knock Knock
Who's that there, knocking on the door?
Just some shepherds...look the babe! We've come him to adore;
Angels showed themselves to us and glory filled the sky;
They told us of the Saviour born and told us to come by!


[3. Wise men - slowly, in a dignified and philosophical manner]
Knock Knock Knock
Who's that there, knocking on the door?
Excuse me, can you help us find the child we're looking for?
We're trav'lers from the East, you see, who've travelled very far
With gifts to give the Jewish King - we've seen his special star.


[4. Joseph, with Mary and Child - with desperation]
Knock Knock Knock
Who's that there, knocking on the door?
We're refugees from Nazareth: Have mercy, we implore!
My baby and my wife and I have fled an evil King;
To save his life we've left our home, our life, our ev'rything!


[5. Jesus a la Revelation!]
Knock Knock Knock
Who's that there, knocking on the door?
I am the Christ, the Lamb of God, in Earth and Heav'n adored;
The reason for your feasts and gifts and songs this Christmas-tide;
But will you hear me calling you, and welcome me inside?
...


Christ stands at the door and knocks, asking us to invite him in in the midst of our Christmas celebrations.


What might that look like, I wonder?
What might that look like in amongst all the Christmas visiting and spending time with the relatives that we may or may not be thrilled to see?


What might that mean when reality isn’t the magical Christmas picture we would like it to be, and especially when the people around us don’t play ball with our own hopes and expectations?


What might that look like when we consider those outside the circle of fuzzy festive warmth: the lonely, the grieving, the sick, the hungry and the homeless, and those in prison, and thousands of desperate refugees?


Followed by reading: Matthew 25:31-40 (here from the NIV)


When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.  All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
 The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’



                                                                                - November 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment