Tuesday 10 May 2016

Lament of the Lonely

This 'psalm' was written at a time when I was paticularly struggling with my experience of being single. The latter half is comprised of assertions from Scripture from which I sought comfort - I have shown the references.

Have mercy on me, O God;
   my heart is sick with loneliness.

I wake alone with no-one to witness my rising;
   and at the end of the day, to whom can I say "Goodnight"?
I fill my days with endless distraction,
   but when I look back it all seems meaningless.

The lives of those around me are rich with relationships.
I reach out, desperate to be connected, valued, wanted,
But their minds are filled with husbands and wives and children and workmates:
My advances intrude; I am little more than an afterthought.

I am alone; who will notice me?
My days are unwitnessed,
 My movements without consequence,
 And my soul is empty.

But you, Lord, are full of compassion and rich in unfailing love.             Psalm 145:8-9
Even though through you all things were created,                                      John 1:3
   still you are mindful of me.                                                                     Psalm 8:4

You see my every movement, and you hear my every thought;                Psalm 139:2
All my days are recorded by you and you count each one as precious.    Psalm 139:16

You are with me always, even until the very end of the age.                     Matt 28:20
Nothing can separate me from your love -                                                 Romans 8:38
Such love that you would lay down your life for me.                                John 15:13

You will satisfy my desires with good things;                                            Psalm 103:5
   In you will I find fulness of life.                                                             John 10:10

Help me to trust you, O God, and rest in your love,
That I may seek first your Kingdom
And the way of righteousness.                                                                     Matt 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment